College Instructional Podium Guide
turn on the
- Press the ON button on the
buttonpad/keypad on the top of the podium. You can hear the projector come
on and see a light through the lens.
- Projectors in rooms with the older
podiums (white buttonpads) take about 30 seconds to warm up.
- New podiums and projectors (black convertible keypad) take a
little longer, AND the ON button flashes while the projector is warming
up. YOU MUST WAIT FOR THE PROJECTOR TO WARM UP BEFORE MOVING ON TO
To use the computer
- Unlock the podium cabinet.
- After the projector has warmed up,
press the power button on the PC tower located in the cabinet. You may
also need to press the power button on the monitor, if it has been turned
- Login to the network with your
username and password and the domain of MERCYHURST.
- To see the computer desktop on the
classroom screen, select the PC or LECTURN CPU button.
- The volume buttons on the control
pad will now adjust the volume coming from the PC.
- Operate the PC as you normally
would. You can use MS Office applications, network drive (H), or the
To use your own laptop
- Connect your laptop to the power,
network, video and audio connectors. Mac users may need a special VGA adapter,
depending on the laptop model. See the CIT about borrowing an adapter if
you do not have one.
- Power up your laptop AFTER it is
- Login to the network on a Windows
laptop, or login to your Mac as you normally do.
- To see the laptop desktop on the
classroom screen, select the Laptop
- IF YOU CANNOT SEE YOUR LAPTOP
DESKTOP, TRY THE FOLLOWING:
- WINDOWS—press the fn and f8 keys together, then wait to see if
the image projects. If not, press the keys again to change the view.
There are usually 3 views, so one of these key combinations should work. Notes: (1) You may have a model on which
the LCD view key is f7.
Your laptop should have "LCD" or an image of a monitor on the
correct key. (2) Only one view allows you to see the image on BOTH the
screen and the laptop.
- MACS—In System Preferences (under
the Apple menu), choose Displays, then click the Detect Displays button.
Once your computer has detected the display in one classroom, it will
remember that display. This mirroring may change the resolution of your
display, but the laptop will otherwise function normally.
the DVD or VCR (you may also
use the computer to play a DVD)
- Select the appropriate DVD/VCR
button/key on the podium.
- Press the POWER button on the
DVD/VCR to turn it on.
- Insert a VHS tape into the VCR, or
open the DVD tray and insert a DVD.
- Operate the controls as needed on
the unit, or use the remote, if provided.
- The volume button on the control pad
will now adjust the volume coming from the DVD/VCR
You can toggle back and forth between the various media by
pressing the buttons on the control pad.
At any time, you may hide the projection of any
image using the Black Screen button. This will not turn off the
projector; it simply sends no image to the screen until you press another
Note Regarding the
Use of Personal Tapes in the VCR
use of home-made tapes in the vcrs has been known to cause the sound to
disappear. If you are using a tape and are not hearing any sound, please
follow the instructions below before calling the helpdesk.
- Place the DVD/VCR in VCR mode
- On the remote control, press the
- Use the directional arrows to select
VCR SETUP, then press ENTER
- Select AUDIO OUT and press ENTER
- You will see two options, HIFI and
MONO. Make sure that you select MONO and press ENTER
- Press the MENU button to exit the
menu. Your tape should now be working fine.
Note Regarding the Use of Cable TV
Television can be played through the VCR mode:
- Turn the projector on
and press the VCR/DVD button on the control panel
Press the power button on the VCR/DVD. Make sure the Output
button is set for VCR mode.
- You will now see the
cable channels. Use the remote to input the channel you would like, or
press the Channel buttons on the VCR itself.
- If you would not like to
view these channels, press the Blank Screen button on the control pad.
This will keep the channel from interrupting your class.
- Another way to clear the screen of
any channels is to enter channel 00 on the remote. This will also blank
the screen and remove any sound from a cable channel.
Related Podium facts:
keys are available in the Center for Instructional Technology (CIT), Library 302,
M-F 7:45-4:00. One key unlocks all the campus podiums. Please be sure to lock
the podium at the end of your class, to protect the equipment. Do not assume
that the next class is being held or will be using the podium.
computers use Windows XP Professional (Windows Vista by summer 2008), and carry such basic software as
Microsoft Office 2003 (Office 2007 by Feb. 2008) and Internet Explorer. To request that additional
software be installed, contact Brenda Howell (x3036), Bernie McGallis (x3301), or Barbara Pittman (x2339).
report problems as soon as possible to the HelpDesk or the CIT. Someone will come
to your classroom, if needed. If the CIT is unable to correct any problem, they
will contact the appropriate IT personnel.
leaving the classroom, follow these steps
1. Shutdown the PC.
2. Return the wireless mouse to the charger
inside the podium.
3. Power down the VCR/DVD.
4. Turn off the projector.
5. Lock the cabinet.
6. Push in the keyboard tray.