§ It was predicted that participants playing an amoral video game (Grand Theft Auto IV) when motivated by an opportunity to win a gift certificate based on recall of gameplay would cheat more than participants playing a neutral video game (Hexic).
• Grand Theft Auto IV is an open world game where the player can drive cars and cause as much violence as they wish.
• There is no limit to what crimes they can commit and if the police come they can attempt to flee or kill any officers chasing the player.
• The game rewards the player with weapons and armor if they kill certain people or commit certain crimes.
• Hexic is a puzzle game that focuses on matching same colored pieces by rotating them left or right.
• When three or more same colored pieces are grouped they disappear.
• When all the pieces disappear the player completes the level and advances to the next one.